Friday, June 6, 2014

Mixed Media Canvas

Hi fellow craftaholics. I did something I shouldn't have done last weekend. I just couldn't help myself, the universe was conspiring against me. First, my parents took all three of my beautiful beasties for an entire 36 hours (I have the best parents ever, really). Second, I found a stamp/scrapbook store within 20 miles of my home, that had somehow gone previously undiscovered. Thirdly, the scrapbook store that I frequent is closing. This makes me extremely sad, however, the 50% - 80% off everything in the store does not. And finally, I got all my 'Absolutely Need to get These Things Done Before Aforementioned Beasties Return' list completed....So what to do, what to do? I went supply shopping, but not the kind where I pick a couple of needed things up to start or complete a specific project. We are talking about the crazy shopping, the kind where afterwards my wallet and husband are both like, what the hell just happened? The kind of supply shopping that makes me reorganize my craft corner when I get home. The kind that creates so many new artistic options I have to pause for a couple days to decide what to make next. Total awesomesauce! So one of the new supplies I bought myself were a set of gelatos. I have wanted these for a couple of years now, but have been somewhat intimidated, since it is a whole new medium for me. However, lately I have been trying to really branch out. I have began using oil pastel and watercolors of different kinds in my art journal, so coupled with the 65% off I had access to, I decided to go for it. So glad I did! I am in love! I have had so much fun exploring these fabulous little pigment sticks! Anyway, one of the first little projects I made was this mixed media canvas. I used the gelatos, some oil pastel, distress ink, distress paint, versamark ink, tattered angels spray, and a three dimensional pearl pen.






 
As always, thank you for stopping by. And until next time, remember to keep it crafty!
 
CHALLENGES
I used a ton of Tim's basic ink layering "Tim-niques" to add texture. I also used some of his texture fades stencils and stamped over those with the versamark ink. There really is nothing that can touch Tim Holtz techniques when it comes to adding texture to your projects, especially when creating your own backgrounds.
So these little tea roses take some tricky folding to get the petals right, to find out how, get Tim's new book.
I think this qualifies as anything!
There is something magical to me about this color palette with the shimmer and the little birds...
The baby birdies following their mommy, could there be anything sweeter?
Again, I used tons of techniques to add texture to this piece. I love me some texture.
 The little birds are made of chipboard.
 
And last but not least I am entering this in Linda Ledbetter's Compendium of Curiosities Vol. III Challenge 3 . As I have said before, this is an amazing blog all about Tim Holtz's book Compendium of Curiosities Vol. III. Challenge 3 is all about Tim's faux tea roses and can be found on pg 65 of his book. Linda has some amazing artists working with her, even if you're not playing along I strongly recommend stopping by to check out the art of Linda and her Curiosity Crew. Linda also has some amazing sponsors. Challenge 3 is sponsored by Inspiration Emporium, a very cool site with all the products you'll need to create some awesome Tim inspired art. To check it all out just click here!
 

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful creation. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty..love the flowers! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this canvas! The bird is sooo adorable! Thanks for sharing and sounds like you had tons of fun!
    Have a great day! ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious! Love the color combinations, especially the roses! Thanks so much for joining our rosy challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful canvas. Love the color you used on the canvas. Thanks for playing along in Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just an amazing piece. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super sweet! Pretty, pretty colors and your roses look great! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge #9: Fold it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bright background and I adore the roses. Thank you for sharing your project and for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julia!! Your canvas is so cute! You did a great job on your faux tea roses! I also wanted to give you a huge thank you not only for the lovely comment that you left on my blog but also for the very nice things that you said about the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge blog and the Curiosity Crew. So glad that you love the challenge and support it so strongly! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Candy, and for your comments. It is always such a great feeling to have something I've created viewed by others, especially people I admire 😉. As I've stated before, I am fairly new to the online crafting/art community and finding blogs like the CC3C blog (as well as a ton of others) has been truly amazing. Not only do these blogs provide endless amounts of inspiration, but they have introduced me to some truly incredible people. I can't wait to continue on this amazing journey. Thanks again Candy.

      Delete
  10. Very nice canvas. Thanks for joining us on Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Julia! Sounds like you got so much done that I think you deserved to treat yourself. Must confess to a desire to play with gelatos too so you've beaten me to it! Huge round of applause for trying out new things and for coming up with this fabulous textured canvas. Love the drama and those beautiful flowers. Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! Love the colours! :) Sherri from SSCC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post made me laugh out loud. Do you know how many times I have done the crazy shopping thing?! Let's just say....many many times. Which is why I am the Chief Hoarder! This project is AMAZING. I love the flowers, and they are a folding fussing nightmare sometimes! But the result is worth it! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete