Monday, July 14, 2014

Altered Burlap and Some Life Lessons

Holy Smokes guys, this summer is flying by WAAAAY too fast. Not only has the Fourth come and gone but we are already on Challenge #6 over at the Fabulous Linda Ledbetter's Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge Blog ! This time we get to play with Tim's cool burlap panels. I love these very versatile little gems, and Tim shows you how to get your inspiration on in his book (pg 37). As always this even numbered challenge is sponsored by the Funkie Junkie Boutique, one lucky winner will grab $25 worth of swag from this very cool site. I'm going to tell you all again, if you haven't hopped over to check them out DO IT!!! Another player will also be chosen by the incredibly talented Curiosity Crew to receive some hand picked goodies from none other than Tim Holtz and Mario Rossi themselves, seriously peeps, if this isn't enough to get you to join the CC3C party train, you may just be hopeless. Before we get to the pictures of my piece, I must share a little story about it's creation and the amazing loveliness of my two oldest monsters. If you don't feel like reading about this semi-epic adventure, go ahead and skip to the pics now ; )

This challenge happened to be posted while I was on vacation. I decided to be insanely adventurous and take my three monsters over the mountains and thru the woods to my home territory of Eastern Washington...SANS husband. We went for a week to celebrate my Auntie, a wonderful woman who passed away last July 4th. The kids were great, and we had a ton of fun, but it was a lot of work to take those monkeys on vaca by myself! Hats off and hearts open to single moms everywhere!!! Anyway, I knew I would be cutting my creating time short (because as everyone with little kids knows you actually need a vacation twice as long as the initial vacation to recover when you take kids on vacation...). Therefore, I decided to actually sketch out a plan for my panel. So every night when I got the kids to sleep I would get out my art journal and work out what my panel was going to look like and everything I was going to need to create it. Now you have to understand, this is a HUGE departure from my normal creative process. Normally, I will just sit down at my craft desk and start pulling stuff out and looking thru all my goodies until the inspiration comes and an idea forms. Needless to say, I was pretty proud of myself for thinking this project out and going so far as to create a detailed colored sketch of what I wanted it to look like (an excellent excuse to play with my new Derwent Inktense Colored Pencils, these things are completely AMAZING) as well as an even more detailed list of everything I was going to use/need. So I get home and spend the next 48 hours trying to get us all back on some kind of family schedule. Then, on our third day home the kids go to bed at a reasonable hour and I am not extremely exhausted or extremely crazy feeling and I decide to bang out this awesome panel I planned out (it really shouldn't take that long, right? I mean I actually know what I want to do and how I want to do it, BECAUSE I HAVE A PLAN). So I begin, I slap on the gesso, let it dry. Get out my different gel mediums and texture pastes and follow my plan, taking all the time in the world to let those dry too (I am normally a fairly, okay extremely, impatient crafter) I also complete my focal point, a really cool gel medium transfer using some of the LAST of my Tim Holtz Wallflowers paper collection (note to self: get more of this paper ASAP because I LOVE it). I let this dry (this takes a bit more time, but I have the time BECAUSE I HAVE A PLAN)!!! Then I get out the colors of distress paint I'm using and start to paint, I get to my last color, Peeled Paint. I'm using this as a highlight color, so I don't need much and then...BAM!!! I accidentally squeezed a bit too hard and Peeled Paint EVERYWHERE! Mainly all over my beautiful transfer and myself...it doesn't seem like there is a ton of paint in those little dabbers, but when you're covered in it you realize they pack a bit more than you think. So I start to use some of my more colorful vocabulary, some of which I don't think I have dusted off since the last time I was in active labor. I spent the rest of my dedicated crafting time cleaning paint off of myself (turning my sink and shower a beautiful shade of green in the process) and trying to salvage my panel (I HAD A PLAN, damn it)!!! Realizing that there is no saving my panel (there is only so much baby wipes can fix) or my plan, I set it aside thinking I'll start a new one the next night (a panel, not a plan. At this point I'm pretty much over the whole plan thing) and I go to bed (a tad pissed)...

Now this is where my kiddos enter the story. The next morning I go in with my kiddos to collect some supplies for a project to do with them. They see the paint mess and asked what happened. I explained (rather animated I admit) what happened and how I was going to have to start over. That is when I got sent to school by my kids. My daughter (5) and son (7) immediately started talking at the same time, "Mommy, there are NO mistakes in art" "you have to keep going, make it into something beautiful" "no one knows what it's supposed to look like, except you" " you can make something awesome out of ANYTHING with a little bit of imagination." These are all things I have told my kids many times. Not only when we do projects, but in many instances where 'mistakes' are made, and here they were giving it right back to me. I didn't know if I should smack them or kiss them, the latter won out. I also decided to take their advice and show them what a fairly large 'mistake' can turn into. Maybe I will miraculously find the time to create my sketched panel before the deadline. Either way here is the end result, the mistake that is not a mistake. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like what I set out to do, but a Tim Holtz altered burlap panel none the less. ENJOY.











Thank you all for stopping thru and as always, stay crafty!
CHALLENGES ENTERED:
CC3 Challenge 6
A Vintage Journey: Dies and Distress
That's Crafty: Masks, Stencils and Templates
Country View Challenges: Stencils

11 comments:

  1. Hi Julia - a lovely panel, so well put together (or should I say rescued!). You did make me smile with your story and of course if you hadn't told us we would never have known about the incident. Happened to me too once - metallic bronze I think. LOL. Thanks for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey. Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those dabbers sure have a lot of paint hidden in there, I am still finding splatter spots I missed, like 5 & 6 feet away from my desk! Thank you for stopping by, and for leaving such a kind comment.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful story and beautiful panel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collage! All that fabulous Ideaology, yummy!! I like the balance of the three butterflies on the left and again on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful make Julia. Wonderful colours and layout...the kids were right and it is amazing. Thank you for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey this fortnight
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful! Love the butterflies, and all the extras...so much to see and love! Thanks so much for playing along on our burlap canvas challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stunning piece of artwork - love all the elements you've added - jus amazing and so inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ladies for swinging thru and leaving such lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a gorgeous canvas. So much to take in and enjoy. Thanks for playing along in the CC3 Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you listened to those clever kids and kept going. This is a wonderful canvas and I think you can tell by all the previous comments how much people like it! Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete